Welcome to my "Motorcycle Stuff" page

Welcome to my blog spot.

I'll try to share useful motorcycle links, information and how-to on this page. Feel free to add to it or leave comments.

For the blog archive, please scroll down. you'll see it on the left hand column. Thank you, and have fun.

Discalimer & Credits: Most of the stuff I have here is copy & paste. These are just excerpts from long discussions. There may be updates/contradictions/changes to this information. I encourage you to review the original posts for details and discussion. For the full articles and discussion, PLEASE visit the link and THANK the original authors. I just compiled this information, nothing more. Credit is due to those who originally posted these.

Saturday, June 9, 2007

Changing your gauge color v. old school zx6r - How-Tos and FAQs @ KawiForums.com

http://kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=79302

Original post by: rtpassini




alright, i saw someone post in the other how to for doing this on an older kawi. since ive done this on my car i thought it would be cake. and good even more good news for us old schoolers, we dont have to solder!!! you take it off just like in the other how to and simply turn the bulbs with a small screw driver about a 1/4 turn and pull it out! its that easy. just make sure you put them in the right way. (not backwards, just look at the little engraving on them to make sure its right)

now the only problem i see, is just like how it was on my car. it may not light up that great. the new kawi's use a lot of leds. where as ours use only three that "go through" the clear plastic to light it up. im not sure where to get the bulbs either, i just took it apart for the how to. havent looked for any bulbs yet.

i think we would have to use something like this
http://www.superbrightleds.com/leds.htm
the 5mm or 3mm. so the downside is trying to "wrap" the wire around the base.

Attached image
Attached image

Updated by:

99Ninja6r

!The LED will not be a direct replacement! You will need a current limiting resistor in series with the positive side (anode) of the LED so you don't fry your LED. Those bulbs are 12V, most LEDs are under 5V and require much less current (~20mA).

In order to calculate the resistor value you first need to calculate the voltage on the resistor:

[Supply Voltage (12V)] - [LED Voltage (from supplier website)] = [Voltage on Resistor]

Now calculate the required resistor value to keep current to ~20mA:

[Resistor Value] = [Voltage on Resistor (previously calculated)] / [Desired Current (~20mA or typical current on supplier website)]


so using the LED from this website as an example:
http://www.lsdiodes.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=16
LED 3.3V; 20mA:

calculate voltage on resistor:
12V - 3.3V = 8.7V on resistor

calculate resistor:
8.7V / 20mA = 435ohms the closest standard value is 470 ohms

make sure you are ~20mA
8.7V / 470ohms = 19mA


Try LSDiodes.com for your LEDs


I took my gauges apart tonight I see if anything could be done. The gauges on my 99 look a little different than yours. Mine has two spots for the bulbs. I just soldered the LED and resistor directly to the PCB instead of using the bulb housing. I tried with the limited stuff I have, but couldn't get a good even brightness. When I go home for spring break I'll try using more than one LED to see if I can get it lit just right.

Sorry I don't have any pics, but my digicam isn't working right now.

Just ask if this doesn't make sense.
I did this today with stuff I had lying around to show it could be done. I used two LEDs and one 300 ohm resistor. It isn't very bright, but the gauges are visible. The problem with the LEDs are that they have a much narrower viewing angle than the incandescent bulb. They are very bright when looking at them straight on, but they don't emit much light from the sides. With some work and probably more LEDs, you should be able to get it to look really good. I'm going to change it back to stock.
Pics:


Circled are the two holes to replace the standard bulbs. You can see my LEDs and resistor in place of the left bulb. I also added polarity markings.


Side shot, I tried aiming them both up, but it didn't work. In the pic the one is aimed at the center of the gages and the other at the rear white piece.


My camera makes it look like the whole gauge isn't lit. In person, it is lit, just not very brightly. You could still ride at night with this mod.


BTW, my windscreen was a bitch to get off.

Reply by:

rtpassini

you dont have to do all that if you stay with an incandescent. you switched to an led which is why it was harder. Also, the viewing angle isnt very wide, thats why its not bright. a lot of places have a variety of viewing angles for different LED's. a source told me to contact them in another 60 days because they are trying to source some incandescent bulbs in that size.

Update by:
mxracer87

Instead of using single LED's, why not buy the 194 style LED's that will just plug in to your existing plugs. You can get them with 4-6 LEDs in each, and you shouldn't have to use a resistor. That should come out much brighter than the setup your currently using.

No comments: