Welcome to my "Motorcycle Stuff" page

Welcome to my blog spot.

I'll try to share useful motorcycle links, information and how-to on this page. Feel free to add to it or leave comments.

For the blog archive, please scroll down. you'll see it on the left hand column. Thank you, and have fun.

Discalimer & Credits: Most of the stuff I have here is copy & paste. These are just excerpts from long discussions. There may be updates/contradictions/changes to this information. I encourage you to review the original posts for details and discussion. For the full articles and discussion, PLEASE visit the link and THANK the original authors. I just compiled this information, nothing more. Credit is due to those who originally posted these.

Saturday, June 9, 2007

HOW TO: HID/PROJECTOR RETROFIT 636 - How-Tos and FAQs @ KawiForums.com

http://kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44667

Originally posted by: Ninjanator

The moment many of you have been waiting for. If you are like me and absolutely love lighting you're gonna love this,if you don't really care about lights and such and think the stock reflector halogens are good, then go to sleep. You are all welcomed to ask questions, comments, concerns, add your 2 pennies, whatever.

So in my opinion the lights on all bikes in general suck ass, maybe excluding a few Ducatis. I have a Honda S2000 and I love the HID lights they come with, so I got an idea and decided to retrofit projectors and HIDs into my 2003 636.

What you are about to read is a HOW-TO on retrofiting projectors into your bike. This does not mean that you need to use the exact same projectors or HID kit or whatever that I used. Use this information at your own risk. IF YOU ELECTROCUTE YOURSELF, BURN YOURSELF, LIGHT YOUR HOUSE ON FIRE, MAKE YOUR BIKE EXPLODE, CHOKE ON A PRETSEL, OR ANYTHING HAPPENS TO YOU I AM NOT HELD RESPONSIBLE. Remember, I am a premed student and not an electrician, not a professional. USE COMMON SENSE!

Originally I wanted S2000 projectors, but they were way too expensive so I went with my second choice: Audi A4 projectors. These Audi projectors are known for their remarkably small size and great cut off line. Attached image
Attached image

So you are going to need Ballasts (2), Projectors (2), ignitors (2) ***some ballasts are already equipped with ignitors, Shrouds (2) if you are into looks or whatever, and ofcourse 2 HID xenon charged bulbs.

Attached image

Go ahead and remove your front fairing as well as remove the headlight assembly after that. When you get to the headlight assembly, you will need to take it apart, either by sticking in a preheated oven set @ 400 degrees or use a hair blow drier. Since i'm paranoid there was no way I was gonna stick my headlights in the oven, so I sat like an idiot for about 25minutes with the blow drier in order to melt the silicone and pry the headlight apart. You will need to wedge a flathead screw driver between the headlight while the glue is melting in order to pry it open. Be careful and don't break the headlight, since it is made out of plastic, and don't burn yourself.
Attached image
Attached image
Attached image

oh yea you might want to test your HID bulbs and projectors to make sure everything is working properly before you begin installing faulty material.

Attached image
Tools most likely needed will be a drill, silicone to reseal your headlights after you are done (to prevent humidity from going inside your headlight and fogging it up), screws, nuts, black paint (to paint the housing and make it look cool), JB weld if you are going to weld shrouds onto the projectors.
Attached image
So make accurate measurements and drill 4 holes to the back of your headlight. My Audi projectors had 4 original mounting holes so they were the ones I chose to run 6 inch screws through. Through the screws I used spring in order to create backpressure and allow to align up and down, left and right. *******be sure that the projector shield is on the bottom side of the projector, or else when you light them up you will shoot light at the sky, and you'll be a deuche bag for sure.

Attached image
AFter your projectors are securely installed inside your headlights, light them on and adjust before actually putting the headlight on the bike, this will facilitate the process enormously!. If satisfied with your beam pattern, go ahead and seal the headlight with the silicone, let it cure for 24 hours, and istall into bike. The ballasts and ignitors I installed to the underside of the covers (whatever those black plastics are called). This keeps them from getting wet (even though they are wheather proof) and keeps them from bouncing around or any crazy stunt shit that you do.



Trust me, it is a night and day difference. The results are unbelievable!!!

All I am going to say is have some fun with this, take your time, and if you lose your patience (which you most likely will many times) have a punching bag close by. If you have temper tantrums drink a beer or two to calm you down. This took me approximately 12 hours to do. The hardest part is taking the lights apart (but if you have balls and can afford melting your headlights, stick them in the oven. Make sure you prehead the over to 400, then turn it off, stick the headlights in for about 5-8 minutes.) Adjusting is sorta of a pain in the ass too, but it is all well worth it. I will take pics of the beam pattern tomorrow night and post them on here.

let me know what you think...
Attached image
Attached image
Attached image
Attached image
Attached image
Attached image
Attached image
Attached image

No comments: